We’re getting news of more users receiving responses which is great!
Unfortunately there are some organisations insisting their customers use traditional methods, such as snail-mail (letters), email or telephone to make data requests. Of course, the problem with ‘traditional’ methods is they are not secure, and inconvenient for people to manage, which is why we built Tap in the first place.
We’re taking appropriate steps to address any organisations that are not responding. Most companies do want to provide answers, but have to adapt how they deal with the legally valid requests which have been issued via our platform. We’re engaging with these organisations to educate them about what we’re doing at Tap, so that future responses can come to you faster.
Here’s a few steps you can take to speed things up:
- Some organisations require proof of ID before using the service; be sure to verify your email and mobile number in-app.
- You can now upload your photo ID (such as a driving licence) or verification card within the app. These are still sent to organisations using our encrypted channel and we don’t store these anywhere.
- If after 7 days you don’t receive a response you can now send a friendly email from within the app. You can do this by going into your data locker, into the request and using the send email button. Learn more.
- If after 30 days you don’t receive a response, you can now leave 1-5 star rating with a comment from within the app.
- Take to social media and shout out to companies who are dragging their heels; be sure to @tapmydata and together we’ll bring them into the 21st century ????
- If you still don’t receive a response you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They have a step-by-step process to do this.
We hope you found this useful. Check out our blog for more useful consumer guides.